This is a very simple yet flavorful side dish to serve with any kind of protein or even just as a snack. I made these beans with the chicken enchiladas… yummy!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 14 ounces can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 2 14 ounces cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
Heat a wide frying pan with the olive oil. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and sauté on medium heat for 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat. Add the tomatoes and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the black beans, salt and the water. Bring to a boil and simmer with lid on for 15 minutes. Take the lid off and cook for another 5 minutes. Check the seasonings and garnish with cilantro.