Category Archives: French Inspired
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 or 3 thick slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 3 chicken thighs and 3 chicken legs
- 1 handful flour, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ounces Cremini mushrooms, rinsed and halved
- 20 whole baby carrots, cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 large Vidalia onions, chopped, or 2 cups frozen pearl onions
- 1 bottle red or white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs thyme
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Transfer to a large plate. Shake the chicken pieces with the seasoned flour in a paper or plastic bag. Brown the chicken in a pot, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to the plate with bacon. Saute the mushrooms, carrots, garlic, and onions in the pot until the just begin to brown, 5 minutes. Pour half the wine into the pan and cook over high heat for about 8 minutes. Add the broth and the remaining wine. Bring to a boil and add the chicken, bacon, and herbs. Return to a boil, then cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the chicken and vegetables and reduce the sauce by half. In the meantime remove the meat off the chicken bones and discard the bones. Once the sauce is reduced add the vegetables and the meat remaining meat.
Serve on top of garlic baguettes.
- 1 French baguette, cut into 2 inch diagonal slices
- Olive oil to drizzle
- 2 whole garlic cloves
Drizzle olive oil on the slices and toast in a 350 degrees oven for a few minutes. Rub the garlic cloves on the toasted slices.
In a shallow bowl, place 2 slices of garlic baguette and add the coq au vin on top and serve.