I am sticking with the Asian theme so here is another delicious dish. One of our favorite Asian greens is Chinese broccoli. I love it! We make it a point to order it every time we go for dim sum. They usually steam it and serve a delicious hoisin sauce which is equivalent to a barbecue sauce. I love the earthy leaves with the crunchy stems.
A trip to the Asian store resulted in a big bunch of the greens and some of the tofu noodles. I realize once I get obsessed with an ingredient- I use it all the time. This dish can be served with any starch including white or brown rice- but we just love the tofu noodles. I also bought one ponzu sauce from the store. Ponzu soy sauce is a savory sauce with citrus notes- very yummy. I used it to marinate the chicken to give it a delicious flavor and I used it in a yummy sauce as well. The sauce also includes tamari, agave and orange juice- to mimic the ponzu flavors.
Overall it was a very easy and quick dish to make. It is super healthy and great for a weeknight meal…
- 1 pound chicken breast, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon black bean paste
- 1 tablespoon ponzu soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
Mix the black bean paste, soy sauce and vinegar in a small bowl. Add the chicken to a large zip lock and add the marinade. Marinate for 2 to 3 hours.
- 3 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 5 to 6 green onions, green and whites chopped
- 2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 4 garlic, grated
- 1 bunch Chinese broccoli, ends cut off and the rest chopped into 2 inch pieces
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons ponzu soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 teaspoons agave
- Juice of one navel orange
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
Add the black bean sauce, chili sauce, ponzu soy sauce, tamari, agave and orange juice in a small bowl. Mix well and sprinkle corn starch and dissolve well. Keep aside.
Heat a wok like sauce pan with the olive oil. Add the green onions, ginger and garlic and sauté on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the Chinese broccoli and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on high heat. Add the chicken and sauté on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sauce and bring to a boil. Check for seasonings and top with cilantro.
Serve hot with tofu noodles.