- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, cleaned, deveined and sliced in half
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
Place the shrimp, tamari and garlic in a zip lock bag. Marinate for 2 to 3 hours.
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
- 2 stalks lemongrass, peeled and the insides minced- yields about ½ cup
- 1 14 oz can light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon tamarind concentrate
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
Heat a wok like pan and add the olive oil. Add the marinated shrimp and sauté on high heat for a minute. Take out and keep aside.
Add the onions and lemongrass. Saute on medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tamarind concentrate, coconut milk, fish sauce, palm sugar and sriracha sauce. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 5 minutes. Add the fresh basil, cilantro and shrimp. Cook for 2-3 minutes till the shrimp are cooked. Taste for seasonings, add salt and lime juice.