Here is my take on potato latkes… !
- 2 large russet potatoes (about 3 cups)
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 green onions, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 2-3 tablespoons chickpea flour (all-purpose flour will be fine)
- ½ cup extra light olive oil heated to about 200 degrees.
Heat oven to 200 degrees. Place a small lined cookie sheet with aluminum foil.
Line a large mixing bowl with a cheese cloth. Grate the potatoes in the cloth and squeeze all the liquid out and put back into the bowl. Add the shallots, green onions, ginger, chile, cilantro, egg, salt and the coriander powder. Slowly add the flour, mix well until the mixture is thick.
Scoop the mixture with a ¼ cup measure. Place it gently in the hot oil and flatten it with the back of the cup measure. Cook on medium high heat for 4-5 minutes on both sides or till golden brown. Take out on a platter lined with paper towels, drain well and place in the oven to keep hot.
Serve with cilantro cream or apple chutney.
Makes 9-10 medium sized latkes.
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
In a blender, add the sour cream, cilantro, lime-juice and salt. Blend till smooth- you may need to add a couple teaspoons of water to start the blending process. Take out in a small bowl and serve with the latkes.
- One large honey crisp apple, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cloves
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder
In a small saucepan, add the apple, cider, vinegar, sugar, cloves, ginger, cayenne pepper and salt. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook the apples till they are soft and the liquid is half the amount- about 10 minutes. Smash the apples with the back of a ladle and mix with the thickened liquid. Cook for another 5 minutes and take out in a bowl and serve with the latkes.