- 1 pack firm tofu- 450 grams, cut into 1 inch squares and soaked in 3 cups of water and 2 teaspoons salt for 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 10 ounces Cremini mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorn, ground
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 5 to 6 mini bok choy, sliced in half
- ½ cup mushroom or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Drain the tofu and pat dry making sure not to break the pieces. Mix the corn starch in water in a small bowl, mix and keep aside.
Heat a wok like pan with peanut oil. Add the onion, ginger and garlic. Stir fry over high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and sauté on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Move the veggie mixture to the side of the pan and add the chili bean sauce and Sichuan peppercorn powder. Saute for 30 seconds. Mix in with the veggies and add the tamari, tofu, bok choy, broth and corn starch. Mix well and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, add salt if needed. Garnish with cilantro.