I love making tacos- especially pulled chicken or pork… chicken being healthier, I tend to make them more often. I made a delicious crunchy cole slaw to go on top…
- 1 pound chicken thighs, skinless, with bones
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
Mix all the spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle all over the chicken thighs and marinate for 2 to 3 hours in the fridge.
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 cup blood orange juice (regular orange juice will work as well)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (preferably homemade)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Pack of small tortillas
Heat a medium saucepan with olive oil. Brown the chicken pieces on high heat on both sides. Reduce heat and add the onion and garlic. Saute on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the orange juice to deglaze. Mix well and add the tomato sauce. Bring to a boil and cover with lid. Lower to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes. Take the lid off and turn the heat off. Let the chicken pieces cool. Take out the pieces and shred with a fork. Return to the pan and bring back to a boil to cook any extra moisture. Check for salt and garnish with cilantro. Assemble the tacos with the pulled chicken and top with cabbage slaw.