Sauteed Okra with Onions
- 10 ounces frozen chopped okra, thawed or fresh if you can find it
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 serrano chilies, cut and split in half
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon aamchoor
Line a large plate with a sheet of paper towel. Place the okra in one layer and microwave for 3 minutes. The reason for this step is to remove the wet slimy texture frozen okra has.
In a cast iron or non-stick frying pan heat the olive oil. Add the onions, serrano chilies and sauté over high heat. Add the okra. Stir constantly careful not to burn but brown evenly. Once the okra and the onions are dark brown and well sautéed, add the salt, turmeric, garam masala and cayenne pepper. Take off heat and add the lemon juice. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Leave a Reply