I saw a version of this recipe somewhere on tv.. I can’t remember where or exactly what it was.. I think it was a Filipino recipe. It looked fantastic with a fried egg served on top. I made a brown fried rice to serve with this delicious dish.. recipe coming up tomorrow!
- ¼ cup ketcup
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon sweet and hot garlic sauce
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water or broth
Mix everything in a bowl and keep aside.
- 1 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup peanut oil
Place the shrimp onto a flat platter. Sprinkle cornstarch, salt and pepper all over the shrimp. Heat a frying pan with the oil and brown the shrimp in batches on both sides on high heat briefly. Take out and keep aside.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 to 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 large orange pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- ½ cilantro, chopped
Heat a wok like pan with the oil. Add the ginger, green onions and jalapeno. Saute on medium high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the orange pepper and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add the shrimp, sauté for a minute and add the sweet and sour sauce. Mix well and bring to a boil and simmer until shrimp are cooked through but not over done. Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice. Add an egg if desired.