- 10 ounces frozen chopped okra, thawed or fresh if you can find it
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 serrano chilies, cut and split in half
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon aamchoor
Line a large plate with a sheet of paper towel. Place the okra in one layer and microwave for 3 minutes. The reason for this step is to remove the wet slimy texture frozen okra has.
In a cast iron or non-stick frying pan heat the olive oil. Add the onions, serrano chilies and sauté over high heat. Add the okra. Stir constantly careful not to burn but brown evenly. Once the okra and the onions are dark brown and well sautéed, add the salt, turmeric, garam masala and cayenne pepper. Take off heat and add the lemon juice. Adjust seasoning and serve.
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, cleaned
- 2 teaspoons bay seasoning
- 1 pound andouille sausage, casing taken off
Sprinkle the bay seasoning and salt on the shrimp and keep in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- ¼ cup extra light olive oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ large green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 to 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen okra
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook on medium heat to create a brownish red roux- it should take about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, celery, thyme and bay. Saute on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the white wine, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Add the okra and sausage. Break the sausage with the back of spatula. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Place the cover and cook for 20 minutes. Take the lid off and cook for another ten minutes. Check for seasonings. Add the shrimp and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve with rice.