- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 5 ounces Cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey meat
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs soaked in 1/3 cup of milk
- ½ cup burrata cheese, torn into chunks
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 cups store bought or homemade marinara sauce
Heat a medium frying pan with the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and sauté on a medium high heat for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the onion, garlic and thyme and a sprinkle of salt. Continue to sauté for another 4 to 5 minutes. Turn heat off and cool completely.
Add the turkey meat to a medium bowl, add the cooled mushroom mixture, both the cheeses, egg, 1 to 2 teaspoons salt and the soaked breadcrumbs. Mix well and keep the mixture aside for about an hour in the fridge for the flavors to marinate.
Heat the marinara sauce in a large saucepan. Form medium sized balls from the turkey meat and gently drop into the simmering tomato sauce. Once all the meat used up, bring the sauce and meatballs to a gentle boil, reduce the heat, cover with lid and cook for 20 minutes. Serve with spaghetti!