- 1 dried ancho chili pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14 ounces fire roasted tomatoes with chili
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium zucchinis, washed, the seeds taken out and diced into ½ inch pieces
- Tortilla chips
- 1 avocado, chopped drizzled with lemon juice and sprinkled with salt
- Crumbled queso fresco
Heat a small cast iron pan and break the chili into pieces and roast in the pan including the seeds on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Keep aside.
Heat a medium heavy pan with olive oil. Add the onion, garlic and ancho chili. Saute on medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the cumin, tomatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the homini and simmer for 10 minutes. Take off heat and transfer to a blender and in batches, blend the soup until smooth with some chunks. Return to the pan and add the beans. Bring to a boil and add salt to taste.
Serve soup topped with avocado, tortillas chips, queso and cilantro.