Apple Cake with Pumpkin Whipped Cream
- 1/3 cup plus ½ cup cane sugar
- ¼ cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 large Honey Crisp apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1¾ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup apple cider
- ½ cup extra light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 9-inch square pan (any shape will be fine)
Stir together 1/3 cup sugar with apple cider, lemon juice and cornstarch in a small saucepan, then stir in the apples. Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and remaining ½ cup sugar in a medium bowl.
Whisk together egg, cider, oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Add the flour mixture- whisk till combined.
Spoon the batter into baking pan spreading evenly. Then pour apple mixture evenly over batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or till cake is done.
Pumpkin Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup confectioners sugar
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
Whip the cream in a standing mixer till soft peaks form. Add the sugar and pumpkin puree. Whip for another minute and chill for an hour before serving with cake.
Leave a Reply