Beef and Sausage Ragu
This recipe is a mix between a ragu and a bolognese. My daughter loves, loves any kind of meat sauce over pasta. I try to make them different every time- so this one is a mix. A bolognese, typically is made with just tomato paste and milk- there is no tomato sauce. I added it all in this one- it was delicious!!
- 2 chicken sausage links (I used spinach and fontina), casings off and crumbled
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato sauce, preferably fresh
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
Heat a heavy saucepan with the olive oil. Add the ground beef and crumbled sausage and brown while stirring constantly on a medium high heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic, onion, carrots, rosemary and thyme. Cook on medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the paste and cook for a minute. Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer, cover with a lid. Cook for at least an hour and a half on low heat, stirring every 15 minutes. Take the lid off, taste for seasoning, and add salt if needed. Serve on top of cooked pasta.
Leave a Reply