This is delicious way to sneak vegetables into the pasta dish without anyone knowing!!! This is a simple and quick dish to make through the week!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 to 4 fresh sausage, casings removed and crumbled
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- ½ pound pasta, cooked with 1 cup of pasta water spared
Pea and Basil Pesto
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive
- Juice of one lemon
Transfer peas to some boiling water and blanch for 30 seconds and take out. Transfer the pine nuts and garlic to a food processor and give it a few pushes, add the peas, cheese, basil, oil and lemon juice. Process it till the mixture forms a smooth paste. Take out and check for seasonings. Keep aside.
In the meantime, heat a wide skillet with the olive oil and add the crumbled sausage. Saute on medium heat till the sausage is golden brown. Add the onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat. Add the cooked pasta with the pasta water and bring to a boil. Add salt as needed and serve the pasta with a dollop of pesto on top.