Tag: One Pot Meals
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Juice of a large lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Marinate the chicken pieces with the lime juice, salt, coriander and cayenne pepper for 2 to 3 hours.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 10 to 12 curry leaves
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1 serrano pepper, slice in half
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
Heat a large saucepan with coconut oil. Add the fennel seeds, curry leaves, onion, Serrano pepper and garlic. Saute on medium heat for 4 to 5 inutes. Add the turmeric, coriander powder and a teaspoon of salt. Saute on medium heat for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken with the marinade and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover with lid and cook for about 15 minutes. Take the lid off and let the chicken simmer on medium heat for another 5 to 6 minutes. Check for seasonings and garnish with garam masala and cilantro. Serve with rice and roti.
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, cleaned
- 2 teaspoons bay seasoning
- 1 pound andouille sausage, casing taken off
Sprinkle the bay seasoning and salt on the shrimp and keep in refrigerator for 2 to 3 hours.
- ¼ cup extra light olive oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ large green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 to 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen okra
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the flour and cook on medium heat to create a brownish red roux- it should take about 6 to 7 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, green pepper, celery, thyme and bay. Saute on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the white wine, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Add the okra and sausage. Break the sausage with the back of spatula. Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Place the cover and cook for 20 minutes. Take the lid off and cook for another ten minutes. Check for seasonings. Add the shrimp and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes. Garnish with parsley and serve with rice.
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- ¼ cup sweet soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
Mix all the ingredients into a small bowl with the corn starch. Keep aside.
- 8 ounces big flat rice noodles cooked according to package direction and separated, once separated, drizzle some oil into the noodles and massage through with fingers to avoid sticking together
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- ½ pound medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 serrano chili, sliced, optional
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup Thai basil, leaves only, chopped
- 2 packs of baby bok choy, trimmed and sliced in half
- 2 eggs, room temperature
Heat a wok like pan with the peanut oil. Add the onion, garlic and chili. Saute on high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the grape tomatoes and the bok choy and sauté for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the noodles and sauce. Bring to a boil and add the shrimp. Cook for 2 minutes and add the 2 eggs. Mix really well until the eggs are incorporated and the dish becomes creamy. Add the basil, mix well and check for seasonings. Serve warm.
Even though it is technically spring- winter refuses to leave. One way to enjoy it while it lasts is to make a delicious stew. The house smells amazing and you have a one pot meal in no time…
- 1 pound chicken thighs, with or without bones, skinless
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small bunch of fresh thyme
- ½ cup pancetta, chopped
- 1 10 ounces Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ cup tomato sauce, homemade or store bought
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
Mix the flour, salt and pepper in a bowl. Heat a heavy saucepan with the oil and the butter. Dredge the chicken and brown on both sides in batches if needed. Take the chicken out and add the pancetta and thyme. Saute on medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook on medium high heat for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the onion and garlic. Saute for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth and the browned chicken pieces. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer and cover with lid for 20 minutes. Take the lid off and cook for another ten minutes. Add the baby spinach and let it wilt down and check for seasonings. Garnish with parsley. Serve with garlic bread or polenta.
- This is a great one-pot meal to make .. especially since it has started to get cold…
- 1 pound chicken thighs
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 to 3 large yellow potatoes and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons roasted cumin
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 poblano peppers, sliced in half
- 1 anaheim pepper, sliced in half
- 1 small garlic head, wrapped in aluminum
- 1 small yellow onion cut in half
- 2 to 3 green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
Place the peppers, garlic, onion and green onions onto a lined baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle the salt. Roast in the oven for half an hour, or until the vegetables are soft. Take out and blend in the blender with the cilantro and ½ cup broth until smooth.
Heat a saucepan and add the oil and roasted cumin. Add the carrots and celery and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat. Add the green sauce, 2 cups broth and the chicken thighs. Mix well and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour and a half. Serve hot with bread.
I had tons of cauliflower in the fridge and I needed to use it up. I could have made an Indian preparation but thought I should do something different. I had also just bought this weird looking pasta from Whole Foods. It was a spirally one and my daughter thought it was great looking.
I decided to make a macaroni and cheese dish. I started with some chopped pancetta and fresh thyme. I added the chopped cauliflower and sauteed for a few minutes. I then added the flour and made a bechamel sauce. I also had an aged Gruyere- it complements the earthy cauliflower beautifully.
The whole dish took no time to cook. My daughter initially had a closed mind when she heard what was in the dish but one she tasted it, she got over it.
read more …
Who doesn’t like sausage and peppers? I love the combination of the sweet orange peppers with the savory sausages. I always have them on hand- usually a couple of packs in my freezer. They are extremely handy and versatile. Breakfast, lunch and dinner – all three meals can be delicious with chicken sausages.
I wanted to make a one pot meal- my favorite thing to cook. They are easy, quick and delicious. In this case, I added tomatoes and potatoes with the sausage and peppers. I added garlic and fresh thyme with salt and pepper. It is very simple yet extremely flavorful.
I bought a pack of ‘ready to bake baguettes’ from Trader Joes and baked some with this delicious dinner. I made a delicious arugula salad with orange segments. I made a quick dressing with orange juice, sherry vinegar, honey and extra virgin olive oil.
I gave my daughter just the arugula (which she doesn’t like so much but will eat it since she knows there is no way out). I also gave her the sausage and peppers but left out the potatoes and tomatoes- she doesn’t care for them. She loves the freshly baked bread as do my husband and I.
It was a quick and delicious meal- my favorite kind to eat. The sausage and pepper bake was delicious.
- 1 pack (4 or 5 links) chicken sausage, sliced at a bias (I used a spinach and garlic one)
- 2 yellow skinned potatoes, cut into 2-inch squares
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 orange pepper, cut into 2-inch squares
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a lined 9 X 13 baking sheet add the sausage, potatoes, tomatoes, pepper, garlic, thyme, rosemary, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well with hands and bake for 45 minutes or till the potatoes are browned and cooked. Serve with a baguette and a salad.