- 1½ skinless chicken thighs, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ cup low-fat sour cream
- ¼ cup half and half
- ½ medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 inch ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Mix the yogurt, sour cream, half and half, onion, garlic, ginger, salt and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Add the chicken pieces and marinate for at least 2 to 3 hours if not over night.
- ½ cup cashews soaked over night in ½ cup hot water
Blend the cashews with the water into a paste. Keep aside.
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds (shaahi zeera)
- 2 green cardamoms, crushed
- 1 ½ inch cinnamon stick
- 3 to 4 cloves, crushed
- 1 large or 2 small yellow onions, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
Heat a deep saucepan with the oil. Add the cumin, cardamom, cinnamon and cloves. Cook on medium heat for about 30 seconds. Add the onions, garlic, cashew paste and cook medium heat for at least 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the chicken with the marinade and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and cover and cook for 20 to 30 minutes. Check every 10 minutes, making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Take the lid off and turn the heat up to medium high and let the excess moisture evaporate- another 10 minutes stirring constantly. Check for seasonings and garnish with cilantro.