In spite of this dish having kale, this was a big, big hit. A great dish to make in this chilly weather.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound good quality ground pork
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 14 ounces can chopped fire roasted tomatoes with chili
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 14 ounces can of any kind of beans (I used black and pinto), washed and drained
- 10 ounces baby kale, chopped
Heat a heavy large pan with olive oil. Add the ground pork and cook on medium heat, separating the meat with the back of a wooden spoon. Add the ground cumin, ancho chili and oregano and continue cooking and browning for 5 to 6 minutes on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and a teaspoon of salt. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and sauté for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chicken stock and beans and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cover with lid and cook for 30 minutes, checking every 10 minutes to stir. Take lid off and add the kale and bring to a boil. Simmer for another 10 minutes until the kale is wilted and cooked through. Check for seasonings and garnish with cheese and serve.