My blood orange obsession continues with this yummy cake- I love citrus with cardamom, so I tried it in this recipe and it was a big success!
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup raw sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Juice and zest of 1 large blood orange
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Confectioners sugar for dusting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease, line with parchment paper, grease again and flour a 9- inch round cake pan.
Blend sugar and eggs in a standing mixer on medium speed until blended and light- about 2 to 3 minutes. Add olive oil, vanilla extract, blood orange juice and zest. Blend until light and smooth. Whisk together the flour, cardamom powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixer and mix on low to incorporate. Pour into the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes. Let cool and dust with confectioners sugar.
Blood Orange Compote
- 4 blood oranges, peel and supreme (section into segments), juice included
- 1 teaspoon honey
Add the orange segments, juice and honey to a small bowl. Let sit for an hour.
- 1 cup whipped cream
Serve the cake with some blood orange compote and a dollop of whipped cream.