Delicious stew for the holidays- one of my favorites!
- 3 to 4 pounds pork shoulder (bone-in, cut into 2 to 3 inch pieces)
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 to 5 tomatillos, peeled and cut in half
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 2 poblano peppers, cut in half, seeds taken out
- 1 cubanelle pepper, cut in half, seeds taken out
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 to 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup queso fresco
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Transfer the tomatillos, onion and peppers to a lined cookie sheet. Roast the vegetables for 30 minutes. Transfer the roasted vegetables to a blender. Add the cilantro and green onions. Blend till a smooth sauce is formed.
Heat a heavy saucepan with the oil. Dredge the pork pieces and brown on all sides. Keep aside. Add the green sauce and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the pork pieces and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and place lid. Cook for 2 to 3 hours or till the meat is falling off the bone. Skim the excess fat off the top.
- 2 pomegranates, seeds taken out
- 2 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
Mix the pomegranate seeds, green onions, cilantro and salt in a medium bowl. Keep aside for an hour. Serve stew topped with salsa and queso fresco.